Monday, February 21, 2005

Midland Keeps GROWING!

Don't look now, there's more and more building going on every single day! A popular subject on the Midland Forums is the subject of new construction/businesses in Midland. Now, I may not know everything going on right now, but I know a lot of it and wanted to do a re-cap here for all my friends checking in:

Furniture Row Outlet - Being built on Loop 250 North across from Best Buy. Judging from the size of the area, I'd guess a 20,000+ sq.ft. building is going up for their new venture. A welcome sight to the loop.

Kohl's - Slated to open on March 3rd, 2005, Kohl's has beside it a small stripmall apx. 10,000 sq.ft. Unconfirmed speculation has mentioned a cell phone outlet going in there along with two different food chain places, but I'll not name names until I know for sure. But show up for the Kohl's Grand Opening on March 3rd!

Landrey's - Advertising in the Midland Reporter-Telegram is Landrey's Resturant. They are currently hiring managment staff for a new resturant in the near future. Based on an educated guess, the earliest we can see such a place opening up would be Sept./Oct. of this year... at the EARLIEST! So hang in there, I'm sure we'll hear more about this soon.

Wal-Mart Supercenter - The current Wal-Mart is under renovations on N. Midland Drive. The McDonald's is to be replaced by a new Subway sandwich shop placed right by the bakery in the front of the store. Their dairy section is being expanded and the floors are being redone. All this to finish by the end of April. ALSO, a whole NEW Wal-mart is under construction on Interstate 20 at Rankin Hwy (aka S. Big Spring St.). Rumor has it that a Cracker Barrell will be built very near this new location as well. But I'm not one to gossip, so you didn't hear that from me! ;)

Holiday Inn Express - Under construction is the latest new hotel in Midland! Going up next to Zeno's on Loop 250, it should be up in no time. When The Hampton came to Midland, the work went fast... I expect the same here.

Anyone watching Hollywood 10 Theaters on the loop? They appear to be adding on at least 2 more screens. Not too bad. Wish someone would renovate and open up the old UA Cine'4 on Cuthbert and Midkiff! Used to be nice... back in the day.

Other things happening: A new bank building is under construction on N. Midland Dr. behind the Town & Country; A dry cleaner company has a building under construction on Wadley next to Soft Suds; American State Bank has a new branch just opening also on Wadley near Midland Dr.; McDonald's on Andrew's Hwy. is going to close at the end of this month for a complete and total remodel; Flowerland on Andrews Hwy. is for sale, which remindes me...

How many of you remember "The Midlander"? The prestigious gym/club with the pool and racquette ball and tennis, etc.? Well... it is UP for sale, my friends! Yes, that's right! The current owner, who bought it at forclosure, has it on the market for sale and will consider financing it himself. Call me if you want more details. (432) 694-9663 Ofc.

Midland is hoppin'! For everything I've mentioned there are at least two more going on that I don't know anything about! E-mail me at: snowshadower33@yahoo.com if you'd like me to post something you know... or want US to know!

Have a nice day!

1 comment:

John A.E. Boswell said...

Oh, believe me, I haven't forgotten any of that. I was kinda running out of space! Didn't want to make it too long. I have a tendency to go on and on and on... ;)

The old Midlander is on Corperate Drive: East of Big Spring behind the new funeral home. I hate that location for the "funeral home." Who wants to abe associated with being next to them? Kind of tacky or ... I dunno. But would you want to advertise:"New Health Club right behind the Funeral Home!" Woo hoo! What marketing there is for that... practically writes itself! =/ NOT!

Oh well... whatcha gonna do?