Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Integrity

Courtesy of Merriam-Webster On-line Dictionary

integrity
Main Entry:
in·teg·ri·ty

Pronunciation:
\in-te-gr-tē\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English integrite, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French integrité, from Latin integritat-, integritas, from integr-, integer entire
Date:
14th century
1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values :
incorruptibility
2 : an unimpaired condition : soundness
3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : completeness
synonyms see
honesty

Firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values.

Question: What "code" of moral values do you look toward for guidence? The Bible? Koran? Torah? How about in your profession, do you uphold a professional code of ethics as a doctor? lawyer? business professional?

When I was in the Boy Scouts, many years ago, we had a candle lighting ceremony where we lit candles as we read about the Boy Scout pleadge: "A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty,brave, clean, and reverent." When we got to 'brave,' the candle decided to melt and drip on my hand. It was hot... damn hot. BUT, I bit my lip and was brave. I endured the moment's worth of pain in order to have a story to tell you now. I was once brave when it mattered a lot... to me.

I still think back on those values from time to time: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient. Let's stop there. Kind? I can admit I could do better there. Obedient? That depends on to whom, and why do I owe them my obedience. For the most part, I can think for myself and that can get me in trouble... when "obedience" might have served me better. Cheerful? eh... sometimes, though there is a synic alive and well in me. Thrifty? Work in progress. Brave? Yup. Covered that. Clean? Sure! Just don't look at my desk! Reverent? That's a matter of opinion. God and I know each other well enough to know where I stand, but other's might have an opinion on my "reverence."

So, getting back to Integrity, "where are you going with this, John?"

Good question, thanks for asking.

And while your at it, that is my point: Ask yourself what guide you use for a moral compass? A Scout pledge? Code of Ethics in your profession? Can you remember one line from that "code?"

I was just thinking, words have a meaning. Codes... have meaning. If there is a "code" in your life, whether it be the classic "Ten Commandments" or something else, why not go refresh yourself a bit? It never hurts to freshen up a bit.

This public service announcement brought to you by a busy-body with far too much on his mind than he can ever spill at one time. Remember? I'm still working on the obedience thing. And cheerful... and reverent.... and get outta here. But hurry back!

No comments: