Friday, February 08, 2008

Happy Anniversery, Blogging for Midland!

Yes indeed. Three years ago today, I started a blog that has been rather interesting to me. I've met people across the nation, found readers who are friends, neighbors, and even my "betters!" (notice I didn't say "elders?" *grin*)

I was thinking the other day how I need to change up the content a bit. Last few posts have seemed a little repetitious. But I've learned something over the years, something that aikido and real estate each have taught me very well: repeat, repeat, repeat.

You can't try something once and think you understand it. You can't attempt anything once, and "know" you know it...you're just kidding yourself. You can't advertise "here and there" and expect people to know who you are.

"Good things come to those who PERSIST."

Remember that. It's a truth that I came across years ago when I was the wandering philosopher I once was. I was pondering the thought of "good things come to those who wait," when it occured to me: the hell it does!

You can wait your whole life for Mr. (Ms.) Right to come along, and you'll never see them. You can wait your whole life for the perfect job, perfect house, perfect (fill in the blank here) and guess what? You'll miss it, not see it, let it get away, think it is something else all together... and you'd be wrong.

No, good things do NOT come to those who wait. It comes to those who persist. You have to work FOR something, TOWARDS something, in the general DIRECTION of something.

In this world, you can either be the Cause of your life, or the Effect of it. Ever heard the saying," God helps those who help themselves?" You have to give God something to work with in order for God to Work It!

There is another saying that drives me absolutely batty: "I guess it was just meant to be." You hear this all the time from reality t.v. people, and so many others. The DANGER in this particular thought is... you are placing yourself in the position to be the effect of any and every outcome situation there might be. How terrible is that?

Car breaks down? Meant to be.
Lose your job? Meant to be.
Go into bankruptcy? Meant to be.
Divorce? Meant to be.

Uh.... EEEHHH! Wrong. You could have budgeted and fixed your car. You could have come in early, stayed late, work through lunch or bring the boss lunch to save your job. You could have not charged up a dozen credit cards to AVOID bankruptcy. And you could have done a million different things to work on saving your marriage, but I'll grant you this... it takes two to make a marriage work, so sometimes it can be another's fault.

BUT... point is, don't just sit back and take it. Get out there and work for what you want. NAME the thing you want so you know, without a doubt, what it is you are going after. WANT what you just named. Do you REALLY want that? or are you just mentioning it because it is what someone else expects you to say? Ya gotta want it. Finally, ya gotta go for the gusto. GET what you want. Don't sit back and wait for it to happen along... go, go, go!

Okay, I'm getting preachy again.

Just think about it!

"Good things come to those who persist."

Start.

No comments: