Friday, July 01, 2005

Sandra Day O'Connor: Supreme Court Justice

Justice O'Connor announced her resignation from the Supreme Court this morning. It is a sad day for America that this is the case. Though she has been labeled by some as a "swing vote," I would rather remember her as the "common sense" vote. She speaks her mind, says what she means and means what she says. I had the distinct pleasure of hearing her speak at Midland College one night, along with hundreds of others. My wife and I attended and we couldn't help but enjoy ourselves.

She was nominated by President Reagan and was the first woman ever to serve on the high court. She has done an outstanding job as Supreme Court Justice and finding someone to fill her shoes will be a daunting task. Well, they can find SOMEONE to fill that spot, but as for living up to her legacy? I doubt it highly.

One of her more famous quotes is the follow, and most profound:

"The more education a woman has, the wider the gap between men's and
women's earnings for the same work."

Ouch! Sad thing is that it's true. Women have come a long way since the late 1800's. Hell! They've come a long way in the last 50 years! And yet, even today, women are still paid less, treated differently, etc. It is one thing to act as a "gentleman" and such, but to condescend in the process is wrong, and believe it or not such things still take place.

Anyhow, I for one am sorry to see Justice O'Connor go. I do hope she enjoys what retirement time she has coming and I thank her for her service to the United States. I firmly believe we are a better country for having had her service and am grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys from Midland, Texas! I just wanted to comment on the Michael lewis trail. I think that the mother Jene Martin Sinclair killed her baby and he did to. sorry bitch