Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Midland: Growing like never before

Greetings friends!

My apologies for not posting as much as I used to, but boy... have I been busy! The real estate market is growing in ways I never even dreamed of in the world of Midland, Texas! The housing market is absolutely maxed out right now, with builders putting up houses as fast as humanly possible. Contractors are hiring personnel as fast as possible and putting them to work. People are moving to Midland in droves from as far away as California, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Georgia... and these are just the people that "I" know about!

To compound this situation, the State of Texas is going through some consolidation and will be creating a new Call Center in Midland for the state health department. 700 jobs will be either transferring to Midland or be newly created. Additionally, the Texas Land Office is planning on setting up shop in Midland. Originally there was talk of transferring up to 16 families to Midland, but rumor has it the idea of a transfer may not be appealing? I guess life in Austin is just that good!

Well, life in Midland is too! "Rock the Desert" is getting ready to kick of with some big name Christian rock bands... it is always a big event. Music festivals have been taking place downtown and at the Museum of the Southwest, a country artist just held a concert at the local Grande Communications Stadium and that was a huge success!

Now to toot my own horn, or better yet... the horn of Aikido: Sensei John Riggs will be opening up his new chiropractic office on Loma Street next door to John Williams, LMT. That is set to happen Sept. 1st. At that time, the aikido studio for Aikido of Midland will be open and is going to be HUGE! Plans for over 1,000 sq.ft. of mat space are happening right now! If you don't know what aikido is, you really should look into it. It is the best, safest, beautiful and creative martial art I have ever seen or had the pleasure to participate in. I'm due to be testing for 1st kyu (one step away from black belt) in September, so I will one of the very first students to test in the new studio. Very exciting!

What else? Well, Wal-Mart is moving along quickly on their I-20 location. That store is due to open early next year. Across the street from them and right along the interstate is going to be a Starbucks Coffee, a new sandwich shop and others. ALSO... Midland is getting not one but a TWO SCREEN DRIVE-IN THEATER! Right on BI-20 and Loop 250. Can't miss it! How many cities do you know that can claim that?

ClearW're wireless internet just set up shop in Midland. They are set up for wireless service at Midland International Airport and now also Downtown Midland. Friends who have already signed up for it are raving over the speed of the service it provides for them: as fast as cable! (so they say, I'll keep you posted.)

UGH! I can't breath! I can't breath! So much is happening in Midland... are you in on it? Call me! E-mail me! What can I do for you? A lot. Just try me.

Have a good one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I hate to be the naysayer, but the bottom will fall out. Save your money and hole it away for bad times. Gas may not go below $1.95 again, but it won't stay at $2.50 a gallon. Good for Midland and economically diversifying. If you can get I-27 to roll through Midland instead of Big Spring, you got it made.

~jef

John Riggs, D.C. said...

Actually, the mat space will be 912 square feet. We are behind schedule so we don't have a firm opening date yet. Dr. John Riggs

John A.E. Boswell said...

*sigh*

Listen... I LIKED MY VERSION BETTER! So I missed that other 88 sq.ft., I was close! And Jef, you predict a bottom, and most likely we will see something of a down turn in oil... BUT, not for a while. Can't say I-27 itself is coming here, but Lamesa Hwy IS going from 2 lane to an oversized 4 lane highway. Plans are in the works as well for a bypass "releiver route" around Midland for trucks coming up from Mexico towards Denver and Chicago.

Chin up!

Anonymous said...

Gas prices won't stay at 2.50, they will drop, only to increase again. two steps forward one step back.

btw, christian music is a joke. How inspirational! How many times can you say "praise the lord, for he gives me sight!!!" in one song...maybe you're too blinded by your faith to see a failed career.